Thursday, June 30, 2011
PS. This plant has been IDed as "Spreading Dogbane". Thank you "The Bee House"
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Sunday, June 26, 2011
Friday, June 17, 2011
Hive #5 was almost drawing comb in the second box when I replaced it with this shorter one, just in time.
Thursday, June 16, 2011
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
#5 has yet to move into its new box they are however crawling all over it, it hasn't been very long since I added this box though and they still have another frame to draw out in the first box.
Our clover is in full swing, its hard to see below the grass, it's defiantly there though, the girls are bringing back loads of muddy green pollen (clover), my sweet yellow clover has buds so it will bloom soon as well. Sweet clover seems late this year.
Saturday, June 11, 2011
I also checked up on hive #5 since they were close to full when I moved them on the 5th, I was surprised to see they had drawn out one whole frame from empty in only a couple days, they also seem to have filled out all of the frame space left over from changing over from the TBH, this means about one third of each frame, thats about 4 frames plus reorienting too their new environment all in about six days. I'm excited about this kind of speed since it seems faster then my old tb hives.
Before I closed up I added a box to the bottom of this hive for expansion, this is supposed to allow them to keep raising brood without cooling off since they are already at the top of their space. In a natural colony bees will build from top down and move their brood nest to new comb as brood hatches, this is how warre hives are run. I plan to run them in a hybrid way, increasing from the bottom for comb renewal and managing their honey space instead of harvesting whole boxs.
Friday, June 10, 2011
Tuesday, June 7, 2011
NEWS FROM THE FRONT
The last of the living colonies have been successfully moved into their new hive system.
They seem to be settling in well, I put a feeder on and poured about 1.5l of sugar water into one of the reservoirs, unfortunately it started leaking evidenced by sugar puddles under the hive, they will be fine though since they didn't have much open brood and it isn't raining.
Strangely I have three other colonies I thought were dead still active so I checked them out on the 5th, they all have caped queen cells and some caped drone cells. One of two things could be happening here, one is they have a laying worker trying to make queens from un-fertilised male eggs, or they had a queen at the beginning of the season that was becoming infertile. I am inclined to think the later option is true since I have never seen bees try to make a queen from male eggs and there is no evidence of a laying worker (multiple eggs in brood cells). At any rate I ordered three queens from a friend of mine just in case, if these other queens turn out to be queens and not drones I will make three nuces with the purchased ones.
This week I, as always, put together some more hive parts mainly frames, so many frames... The pictures below show first the freshly cut parts then the jig I use to assemble them square, the next picture is the pile of ninety-seven frames ready for starter strips and spacing screws. If you have any questions you can always E-mail me using the address at the bottom of this blog, I can't always see the E-mail address of commenters.
Thursday, June 2, 2011
Two days ago it was hot and I needed to work in my workshop I left the windows open, this time I removed the screens to let the occasional bee out, when I come back I find a crazy buzzing frenzy all over the shop! You see I have been storing some mostly empty comb in the shop until I could render it down, you would think they had found Valhalla from the looks of things. Anyway big mistake so I put the screens back on, propped at a slight angle to let the bees wanting out find the open crack, the ones wanting in can't figure this out as quick, they keep trying to fly through the screen. This removed 98% of the paradise seeking cuties then I shook of the screens for the last 2%, problem solved, I also moved the comb inside.