Thursday, July 21, 2011
I had to move my last tbh into a warre today so I got up before the sun and finished before eight am, even small colonies do not like being woken before the sun rises, they get cranky and take it out on the cause of their vexation.
This weather does give me the opportunity to do a simple photo experiment on warre hive bearding. I will post the results in a few weeks.
I am currently working on a lift / dolly, I got the idea from a german site that sells these things professionally built. Its a very simple device that looks like a dolly with a block and tackle, a sled on rails and a single wheel for load stability. Its powered by a cordless drill so one can raise and lower the sled without letting go of the handles, leave it to the Germans. :) I think every beekeeper needs one of these lift devices even if you only have three hives. Why lift dead weight that most unions would consider much too heavy for a safe working environment.
Bee careful and work safe!