This is a swarm moving into Ronna's nice log house, she managed to get a picture of this event in progress. They where uninvited though so she called me to evict them.
This is a before picture, eg. before the cutting, prying, tearing and general smashing.
This is what I saw once all the demo was done. The swarm was only six days old and already they have built almost a square foot's worth of comb, bees in swarm mode are very fast comb builders.
About a swarms worth of bees in my bee vacuum's inner cage.
These bees are getting the VIP treatment, here I am levelling their hive stand (needed for foundation-less hives if you want straight comb)
Gathering all the parts for assembly.
Place both hive bodies on the stand (plus base). Also before I place the quilt and outer cover on I release the queen since there are already a lot of bees inside.
I have tried a few different methods for getting bees from my vacuum cage into their new hive but this works the best, I open the base of the cage and lean it against the new hive's entrance so that there is a clear path for the bees to walk inside, the queen and more bees are already inside the hive, so the rest of the bees in the vacuum cage smell this and start marching in, really cool to watch. It can take a few hours though.
Hive number One, formerly know as Lazerus hive, is now host to Ronna's bees, the only thing they share now is the number.
Number one's neighbours, number one is the second from the right.
You can read more from Ronna's side of the story from her blog
Having always been a tinkerer I thought it would be neet to build my own metal melting oven, this idea grew and evolved until several years later I found myself carving casting and finishing pieces in both silver and my favorite metal bronze.