Saturday, August 7, 2010
The bees I removed from that old school house are doing well, I will feed them until fall in hopes of getting them through the winter in a nuc. They actually have a queen now! When I checked she was laying eggs happily, the time constraints prohibited raising a new laying queen from eggs so I assume I vacuumed up a virgin queen along with all those bees, she must have mated here at my home apiary then started laying eggs.
I have also started building three more hives, I will probably put both nucs (Lazarus swarm and school house nuc) into one hive body as nucs to over winter. I plan to build wraps for all my hives to keep the bitter winter wind off of their wooden walls, I hope this will do two things, reduce humidity build up inside and reduce heat losses due to wind chill.
I plan to harvest some comb from #3 soon since they should be packed by now, I might be surprised with my other hives, probably though they will just be ready for winter since they had to build hives from scratch this year, I'm hoping next year I will have a normal harvest cycle.